SUGGESTED HEPARIN FLUSH PROCEDURE FOR BONE MARROW ASPIRATE
1. Withdraw 2,000 units/mL of Heparin into 10mL syringe
2. Remove Stylets from Introducer Needle and Aspiration Cannula with distal end of needle inside sterile bowl
3. Connect Heparin-filled syringe to the shorter Introducer needle and inject Heparin until needle is full rinsed (is flowing through end of needle). Aspirate Heparin back into syringe and disconnect from needle.
4. Repeat step 3 for the longer aspiration needle.
5. Rinse each stylet (3), short introducer sharp (1) and blunt (2), longer aspiration stylet (3).
6. With needle guards in place, rinse the outside of each needle by injecting Heparin into the open end of the guard.
BEGIN ASPIRATION PROCEDURE FOR IMMEDIATE USE (EX. MIXING WITH BONE GRAFT)
CONTINUE FOLLOWING STEPS FOR BONE MARROW ASPIRATE INJECTION THROUGH 22 GUAGE NEEDLE
6. Rinse 22 Gauge Needle with 2,000 units of Heparin
7. Add 500 units/ml of heparin (1/2 for each 10mL Aspirate) into collection syringe
Example of preparation of 2,000 unit heparin
Obtain a 5 mL vial of 5,000 unit Heparin per mL (25,000 units in total). Using syringe, empty the 5mL into a sterile bowl. Add to the bowl 7 mL of sterile saline or PBS. Bowl will now contain 12 mL of 2,083 unit Heparin per mL (i.e. 25,000 divided by 12mL) for rinsing needles. Alternatively, purchase 10mL of 1,000 unit per mL Heparin (10,000 units in total) and use directly. It is important that the strength per mL of the heparin rinse is at least 1,000 but preferably 2,000 and that you have adequate volume to rinse all of the needles and syringes.